Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dream Scenes

Justin has been urging me to spend more time creating full scenes and backgrounds, which is something I have never been prone to doing. While examining this lack of interest, I realized it's because I don't really know what stories to tell with my pictures. Then it hit me . . . my dreams are full of rich backgrounds, vivid imagery and completely unusual stories!! Fortunately for me, I remembered the last few of my nocturnal meanderings, especially the one I recorded a few posts down.

^On the left is a very quick sketch from a vintage Playboy. The face is odd, but still bears a resemblance the original girl. Colored it at work, without reference, with markers. I'd like to sneak one of my old Playboy's into work to draw from (cartoons and pinups, what!) but ehhhh . . . we'll see. The waterfall is from a dream this morning. Buddha is my mom's dog. The mist is airbrushed.

^I kinda just launched myself at this image with out any prelim sketch, just dashing in with the purple micron. I had to really visualize it in advance to incorporate all the elements and still keep it in balance. I am unused to rendering perspective in landscapes and stuff, so this looks a bit flat. I looove atmospheric perspective, got to see it in action when we were in the Smoky Blue Mountains. Just pretend a young lady with dark hair and her brother are standing on the path, talking to the bear.

This chronologically precedes the other dream image, tho I drew that one first. I like the contrasting moods, that's how it was in the dream. I drew her hair first, then thumbnailed the composition, then drew it with a drying copic sketch marker (brush tip). That produced some smeary, translucent marks, which blurred even more when I went over with markers. Finished it with some airbrushed black and white. I think the composition is too centered, I wish I had thumb'd it before starting!

Critique is greatly appreciated!

No comments: